Each summer, the Center for Neuroscience at the University of Pittsburgh (CNUP) sponsors a 10-week program in which selected undergraduate students conduct research investigating diverse aspects of nervous system function under the guidance of individual CNUP training faculty. The 2019 CNUP Summer Undergraduate Research Program will begin on Tuesday, May 28.
- To give qualified students the opportunity to experience the challenges and rewards of intensive, hypothesis-driven laboratory research in neuroscience.
- To teach the technical features of a research project. These may include neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, molecular biology, brain imaging, computer simulations, neuropsychology or behavioral assessments.
Note: Students who envision their future in clinical medicine typically will not be competitive for this fellowship, unless that vision also includes an important potential role for laboratory-based neuroscience research.
- Appplicants must have completed their sophomore or junior year of undergraduate training before the start of the program.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 ("B") or higher; strong performance in science, math, and related coursework is especially important.
- Applicants must be undergraduate students currently enrolled full-time at a U.S. college or university.
- International applicants will be required to provide official authorization for Optional Practical Training (OPT) from their home institution, prior to their arrival in Pittsburgh.
- A $4,000 stipend will be paid as follows: $500 will be paid on May 31. The remaining $3,500 will be paid in two equal payments of $1750 on June 28 and July 31, 2019.
- Fellows will receive housing at no cost in a double-occupancy, on-campus dormitory.
- Access cards will be provided to ride Port Authority public transportation buses.
- Fellows will be responsible for their own meals and other expenses, including travel to and from Pittsburgh.
- Download the application form.
- View research interests of CNUP Training Faculty participating in the 2019 Summer Program.
- Choose the top 3 faculty members with whom you would like to work, plus 2 others if appropriate. Whenever possible, student/mentor pairings are determined from this list.
- Please send the application form, college transcripts, personal statement, and letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 2019 program will begin with orientation on May 28 and end with final presentations on August 2. All fellows must be available to begin and end their participation on these dates.
- Fellows are expected to work in the laboratory full-time throughout the 10-week program. Vacation days will not be permitted unless pre-approved by the faculty mentor. Other awards and funding must be relinquished.
Pertinent Dates and Deadlines:
- 2019 program dates: Tuesday, May 28 through Friday, August 2
- Application receipt deadline: Friday, February 8, 2019
- Applicants will be notified by email between March 7-19, 2019 whether they are accepted, placed on a wait list, or declined. Students who are accepted will be requested to accept or decline the CNUP Summer Program offer within 4 days.
Jon W. Johnson, PhD
Center for Neuroscience and
Department of Neuroscience
Anthony E. Kline, PhD
Center for Neuroscience and
Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation